Photobucket

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Cadians Progress

Man I love this scheme!

Man I hate how bloody long it's taking! The Army Painter is working brilliantly, it's the Catachan Green that's being a bitch. It needs more than a few coats to go on even and that is putting a monkey wrench in my painting quick motif. It's even discouraging me to paint these guys at all. If it weren't for the finished look below I would have gone with something like the Cadian 85th "Firedrakes" army. Spray red, dip... done. Only I don;t want all red Guardsmen. I want Cadian 8th looking Guardsmen. I guess there is always a price for what you want.

Anyway here is a little bit of progress. I only have over a hundred dudes or so to go

Ugg.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I obviously haven't dull coated this team yet. I'm holding out until I drag my lazy ass to go track down some Testors Dull Coat. From my understanding it's supposed to be the best. Since this is gonna be the army I take my time with I might as well do everything as right as I can make it.

I did manage to basecoat a commander and three snipers. They aren't dipped yet but this gives you an idea of what I'm doing to basecoat.
Photobucket

Remember the story of the Tortoise and the Hare? Don't for one minute tell me that the Tortoise wouldn't go faster if he was givin half the chance.

Slow and surely = slow and annoying.

But damn do they look good...

6 comments:

E said...

They do indeed look good, but is there a reason why you went for catachan green over one of the foundation greens?

It would speed it up a fair bit unless I'm much mistaken, my two penneth anyway.

Stick at it, you'll get there.

I'm still plugging away at it, and if I can so can you.

Cheers
E

blang86 said...

Yeah, when painting my Tyranids I learned that spray painting white and loading them up with a wash to color their flesh was much easier then actually painting them in mass.

Dullcote...definitely the finest stuff around. I don't know how but it always appeared to help make my blending and layers look smoother.

I'd also recommend using the foundation paints as E said. If they don't have your color, mix catachan green with one of the grey foundation paints. It will change the color slightly but still only need one coat. Then you can hit it again with just straight catachan green. That's one method I have of painting pink on black (a huge pain).

Best of luck on all that painting!

MIK said...

Duck Sauce is the proud owner of a 100+ strong, fully painted Cadian 8th army, and I've got to tell you, it's damn impressive. They're looking good so far, keep at it, keep at it, keep at it, that's the only advice I've got for you, it will pay off in the end.

The 25mm Warrior said...

Thanks for the encouragement and tips guys! I'll have to try out the foundation paint thingy. What deterred me from it was that there was no Catachan Green. However the mixing tip is awesome!

Papa JJ said...

Sorry about the slower than expected progress but at least the results you're getting look really good. You make a strong case for using the dip method, considering how slow I paint I may need to get some myself. And your snipers look awesome with those respirator bits, very cool!

The 25mm Warrior said...

Thanks Big Papa JJ! I was gonna do a whole veteran squad with the masks since they were gonna be air assaulted in via the Valkyrie. Long story short I lost some masks (damn small bits). The only ones to make it were the snipers. They need it too. The command squad sniper figs are plain as hell. The only thing that makes them a sniper is the weapon. It certainly isn't their poses. Man I could bitch about those figs all day long.

Hmmm... do I smell a bitch fest blog comming up???